News

Happy New Year!!

2015 TMLIA ACTIVITIES AND ACCOMPLISHMENTS

 • Participated and contributed to the completion of the Lake Menomin, Tainter Lake and Red Cedar River TMDL Implementation Plan titled :“A River Runs Through Us” by Red Cedar Water Quality Partnership.

• Led “2015 Red Cedar: Land, Water and People Conference” www.uwstout.edu/profed/redcedar

• Supported the Farmer-Led Councils in Northwest Wisconsin.

• Received a $54,091 WDNR Grant: Civic Organizing for Watershed and Lake Management.

• Supported 2015 National Science Foundation LAKES: REU Project: www.uwstout.edu/lakes

• Supported the new Dunn County Soil Health Demonstration Farm.

• Updated TMLIA bylaws.

• Initiated a new Facebook presence-Like us on Facebook!

• Participated in public hearings and legislative actions that helped restore funding for UW Ext. Educatorsand WI County Land and Water in the 2015-17 WI budget.

• Participated in the 2015 Wisconsin Lakes Conference.

• Contributed/presented on various water quality initiatives for the City of Menomonie, Dunn County,WDNR, Interstate Civic Organizing Agency, WI Towns Association of Dunn County, Red CedarWatershed Working Group, Village of Colfax, 3M, UW-Eau Claire and Wisconsin Lakes Association.

• Expanded and diversified the TMLIA Board of Directors.

• Presented 2015 Red Cedar: Land Water and People Keynote Video Series.

• Participated in UW-Extension/WI Lakes 2015 Advanced Lake Leader Training.

• Helped facilitate the formation of Red Cedar Watershed Working Group-WDNR, Army Corps of Engineers, LAKES-REU/UW-Stout, UW-Extension, Dunn/Barron Counties and TMLIA.

• Received a $3,000 grant from 3M for erosion/shoreland restoration.  

• Worked with various WI lake associations to restore WI shoreland zoning ordinances and local control.

• Provided support for the new Dunn County Water Quality Specialist.

• Advocated for improved water quality in Lake Menomin, Tainter Lake and the Red Cedar Watershed atpublic forums across Wisconsin.

 CURRENT TMLIA INITIATIVES

1) TMLIA leads the planning of the 2016 Red Cedar: Land, Water and People Conference at UW-Stout, Thursday, March 10, 2016.  

2) TMLIA is contributing to the Red Cedar Watershed Working Group that includes the Army Corps of Engineers.  This group is initiating a three-year interdisciplinary grant/support project related to the Red Cedar River TMDL Implementation Plan (A River Runs Through Us) and the LAKES: REU Project at UW-Stout.   

3) TMLIA is actively pursuing with the Army Corps of Engineers, Village of Colfax, Dunn County Land/Water and WDNR to restore an erosion site on the Red Cedar River at the Colfax Wastewater Treatment site.  Preliminary commitments suggest that the total project will be in the range of $950,000 with the Army Corps providing 65% and the remaining 35% will need to be covered by local match.  The project schedule has been projected and completion (if all goes well) is scheduled for September 2016.  

 4) An erosion project is being initiated to address an erosion site on the Red Cedar River adjacent to County Hwy M north of the Village of Colfax.  Dunn County, WDNR and TMLIA recently visited this site with the Army Corps of Engineers.  Dunn County has submitted a formal request to the Army Corps to pursue this project. 

 5) The TMLIA sponsored WDNR Lake Planning Grant: “Civic Organizing for Watershed and Lake Management” is on track.  In November, TMLIA helped prepare a case study on civic organizing and participated in a presentation on behalf of the Interstate Civic Organizing Agency for the Minnesota Active Citizenship Initiative (MACI).  This grant is a two-year project and will conclude in December 2016.  Outcomes will be reported out in 2016 on this project. 

News & Events AUG 30th

Public invited to comment on priorities for water quality standards

Where should state environmental officials focus efforts to protect our water for the next three years?

State officials are seeking public comment on a draft list of five water quality standards proposed as priorities for protecting Wisconsin’s lakes and rivers. 

Stakeholders are invited to comment on DNR’s draft priority list from August 28 to October 5, 2018. The draft report of the 2018 – 2020 TSR priorities, which includes the list and topic descriptions, can be found HERE.

A public hearing will be held on September 21, 2018 from 10:00 to 11:00 AM at 101 S. Webster St., Madison, in Room G27.

Questions or comments on the triennial standards review process should be directed to Marcia Willhite by calling (608) 267-7425, e-mailing marcia.willhite@wisconsin.gov, or mailing to Wisconsin DNR WT/3, PO Box 7921, Madison, WI 53707.

Read More Read ALL

Local News SEP 22nd

2 wounded in Wisconsin shooting discharged from hospital

MADISON (AP) — Two people shot by a colleague this week at a Wisconsin software company have been discharged from a Madison hospital....

Read More