Parents Warn Against the Dangers of Lake Electricity After Daughter Is Killed

Carmen Johnson, 15, was a high school cheerleader who enjoyed life, got good grades and loved to be on the water.

It was a terrible accident on the water that took Carmen’s life on April 16, and her parents, Jimmy and Casey, are warning others about the potential dangers.

The Johnsons say Carmen, their youngest child, was electrocuted while swimming in the lake behind their home. Her parents told ABC News that the electrical currents came from rusty electrical work at the dock in their backyard.

It’s called electric shock drowning -- when a current, usually from a short circuit in the wiring of a dock, marina or boat, spreads through the water, and someone in the water is shocked and drowns.

Learn more by seeing the article at Good Morning America's video and article.

News & Events FEB 5th

February Monthly Meeting

Ryan Curtis will be the guest speaker for this month's meeting. Come see his presentation about the research into the history of Lake Menomin, beginning at its christening in 1902, as it is presented within the Dunn County News. This research is being done by UW-Stout students in collaboration with Professor Kate Edenborg.

Tuesday, February 13th 6 PM - 7:30 PM

Dunn County Government Center, Room 58

800 Wilson Ave., Menomonie

Read More Read ALL

Local News MAR 17th

Miami bridge collapse victim's uncle rages at 'incompetence'

MIAMI — As crews began removing bodies from beneath a collapsed pedestrian bridge Saturday, a victim’s uncle raged against what he called the “complete incompetence” and “colossal failure” that allowed people to dr...

Read More